Thursday, August 16, 2007

Misnomers and Mr. Nomers


So, several weeks ago I met the guy who owns our building. Being a suitably affable marketing guy (who never wears a suit), I amiably chatted with him. His name is Peter M., a genial and talented Captain of Modern Industry. I discovered we went to the same college, etc.

Turns out he's a trustee of the college. I'm not. It may have something to do with the variance in our levels of alumni donations over the years. I'm just guessing.

Peter comes down to our floor to visit fairly frequently.

I notice he's been calling me Peter.

At first I thought I heard wrong, but, no, he says, "Hi, Peter."

Trouble is, I've been replying, "Hi, Peter" in true Doppelganger Loyalist fashion.

I'm a J. Alfred Prufrock on this one. A wimp.

I couldn't bring myself, after several nominal misnomers (or mister nomers, if you prefer) to correct him.

I didn't know how to begin. Call me Pawlie (not Peter) Kowardnuts, if you must.

Ballet Daughter warned me: You'd better nip this in the bud. It'll only get worse.

Today I took action.

I told Shannon, Peter's assistant. And she told Peter. Brave, eh?

Peter came by later in the afternoon, rolling his eyes. We're good. however, he departed my "office" area saying, "See you later," noticeably but good-humoredly not saying my name.

If he only knew about Pawlie Kokonuts.

Whew.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eye rolls make me think of tweens. Thinking of tweens make my eye twitch.

Glad you got it all squared away!

Glamourpuss said...

In my experience, one apostle is pretty much the same as another.

Puss

AndreAnna said...

When you have a name like mine, this is part of my life. I've just accepted and answer to all sorts of names. I like "ho bitch" the best.

jbwritergirl said...

Thank God your secret identity has remained in tact Pawlie! Lord only knows where that could lead. LOL.

I'm back...and have gone live. Come visit if you dare. Should have another one up today or tomorrow.

JB

toby said...

Blimey! A bunch of genuine word-meisters. Bit out of my depth here but I am curious about why your kokonuts are poorly. Hope it isn't serious?

Patti said...

What's in a name? A coconut by any other name would smell as sweet..

You are a brave soul, PK, telling his assistant and all. Congrats.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...