Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Alphabetacoincidence


So the four of us are there at Starbucks on a Friday night. Playing Scrabble. Yup. Wild night. You snicker? (Or is that snigger?) You titter? Words can be wild! After all, they can start wars, make peace, declare love, ignite lust, or seal the deal. Amidst gale-force winds generated from air handlers, we trot out a very worn Scrabble board made available for customers. Several of the letters are overwritten with m
arkered letters, presumably to accommodate missing letters. Or because our predecessors were cheaters. So there we are: Beloved Spouse, Ballet Daughter, and Irishstep Daughter (which is infinitely different from Irish stepdaughter), and El Laforisto himself, Pawlie Kokonuts. Our gales of silliness are interspersed with observations regarding fellow customers, stuff like, "They're a handsome couple," or "No, they're not; you're so old," followed by "You're right" when Handsome Couple (he, possibly Italian with ponytail; she blonde and fit; both contagiously smiling) come over to chat it up with us.

A short time later, picture this. I have the letter A in my left hand (since I am the sinister sort). I move to place it on the board. On the board, if you please, picture the word MEN positioned horizontally. Perpendicular to it, separated by a conjoining blank space, reading downward is the word GIANT. At the precise moment that I move my hand downward with the letter A and I kind of mumble self-mockingly, "Heh, amen! a giant!" at that exact moment in through the doors walks a giantess of Olympian proportions. We're talking H-U-G-E. I'm sorry, don't be offended. It's just T-R-U-E. I could not help it. I just stopped in mid-air, mid-sentence, mid-Scrabble-word-placement (of course, I was not seriously about to posit the word "agiant"), and did a double take at the door. "A-men. A-giant."

We just broke up. What else can I tell you? You could not have choreographed it better. It even made dour ol' me laugh out loud in real life.

Fortunately, Amazon Dot did not seem to hear me. Relieved at that.

Your turn.

Any Scrabble stories?

(Aw, c'mon, I'll bet you've played Dirty Word Scrabble, Mist1. Or Glamourpuss, have you? Army, you? Dafaths? Any Scrabble stories from The Ephemerist Cohort, e.g., Michael C? Wanderlust Scarlett? Odat? Diapering Madwoman? JR? Ralph? Patti? Others?)

C-A-R-R-Y O-N.

10 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

Of course I've played dirty Scrabble. But for seduction purposes, I prefer poker. Few people will play me, fearing my vocabulary, which is sad, because I love the game. The first time I thrashed my father at it was most satisfying - he was never one of those parents who helped or let his child win.

Puss

azgoddess said...

are you one of those scrabble players that has a dictionary when you play? ya no, that drives me nuts...can't ya just trust me that 'pizzle' is a real word - lol

great story!!

Foofa said...

Scrabble stories, I don't even know where to start. Let's just say that I love the game and want to hug it. Mom used to play in little local tournaments so I was indoctrinated at a young age. I am quick to tell people that QI and ZA are words but that my dictionary is an older edition and doesn't have them in it before we play. Only four people I know enjoy playing with me and one only half enjoys it. So sad

Odat said...

Great story!!!

My brother and I used to play "make up your own word" scrabble.....was really funny!
Diry words? Moi? (well, maybe just once)..hehe.

Peace

Patti said...

um, I don't play games.
I don't have any fun.

I am a boring individual.

Patti said...

P.S. P.K. - I do find it interesting when I read how you describe yourself, i.e. dour, anti-social, an intellectual snob.

Never would have guessed, reading your posts. ;-)

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

GP,
Funny thing: wordsmith though I am, I don't win that often. Must talk to therapist about my endgame.

AZG,
Hmmm. Pizzle ain't like drizzle, that's for sure.

Natalie,
You, or your mom, would whup me.You know all those secret little Scrabble words. That's why I don't do crosswords.

Odat,
Must be a very rapide goaime [through in a few made-up words].

Patti,
I'll trade ya: you're not boring and I'm not anti-social.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Giggles with glee... yes, YES!
I am a master Scrabble player, it is my favorite board game. Chess and checkers are only barely second though.

Brain games.
Logic.
Strategy.

Spelling is only part of it.
I learned Scrabble from my grandmother when I was 11 years old. I had not lost a game -not a single game- until last spring, when one of my brilliant friends took me down.
Then we had an immediate rematch and I tagged her with over a 100 point spread.

Love those triple word scores.

I was playing a wee one on summer break once.. I think she was 9 or 10... and about three or four words into it she jerked her head up at me in shock and horror and stated in quite a fluff, "You TRICKED me! This isn't a game!! It's VOCABULARY!!" ... and that was the end of that game. She was appalled that I'd pulled that stunt while she was out of school on summer break. Ah well.

It is wonderful.
Thank you for playing, Pawlie, I quite enjoyed reading your story, it was P-E-R-F-E-C-T (that'd be an extra 50 points for using all seven letters, thank you).

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Patti said...

OK, PK, it's a D-E-A-L

Army said...

My friend has a partner from Spain who is a Bobby Fischer at this game. He pronounces it Scrayble. How cute!

Anyway, favorite story involving Iker from Spain:

Army: "How about this? Twead."

Darren: "Tweed has two E's in it. There's no A."

Army: "Sh[t, you're right." Looking at letters in my stash. Sarcastically, "How about 'tweav.' Is that a word?"

Iker seriously: "No, tweaf has an F in it. Not a V."

The rest of us bust up laughing.

Iker confused: "What?"

Brandon: "Tweaf isn't a word!"

Army: "Tweaf."

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...