Thursday, August 09, 2007

ChicorLit



Maybe I'm getting better, have turned a corner, reached a tipping point, cliched a cliche. Last week I was chatting with a colleague (Botanist Colleague) about chicory, celebrating its singularly summery and scintillating color. I asked her about it, since I wasn't quite sure how chicory differs from purple coneflower or cornflower, if at all.

Sure enough, the flower I had in mind is chicory, she confirmed for me by consulting some serious-looking textbooks.
You see chicory on roadsides a lot at this time of year, just about anywhere in the continental U.S. (As for Europe, I don't know, so chime in readers from around the planet.) It has been used as a substitute for coffee.

So today I made a remark to Botanist Colleague (BC) about chicory, something to the effect that she certainly got it right. Our chicory-referenced dialogue proceeded along these lines, although we bloggeristic Proustians realize how unfaithful and saucy a mistress Ms. Memory can be:

PK: "You see them all over."


BC: "Yeah, you do."

PK: "You were saying they're transitory, lasting for a day?" [like blog posts, I could've added but did not]

BC: "They bloom every day. They wilt real quick."

PK: "Just like me," I quickly and breezily reply in my head, the words clanging around in the cranium like a struck gong.

But I didn't say it! A monumental first!

The elevator doors close.

Saved.

This may be the first instance of what I think they call impulse control in my so-called adult impulsive life.

8 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

Yup we have chicory in the uk and in australia

Glamourpuss said...

I'm learning to give into my impulses, well, some of them. Didn't give the tres attractive man on the train my card yesterday tho'. Must try harder.

Puss

jbwritergirl said...

Hey Pawlie,

I have impulses as well, but, I've been warned not to talk about them publicly.

I'm back at JBLA, only from now on it will be live broadcasts. Check it out and let me know what you think. I'm building a real set which will help the look of the broadcast and will be adding more and more things like commercials in the future.

Hope all is well in your world.
By the way I love Chicory!
JB

Patti said...

PK: I believe congratulations are in order. You controlled an impulse.

Seriously, this is progress.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

SF,
Australia too? You've been there? I've been chicoried (paraphrasing UK writer Marin Amis: "I've been chicked.")

GP,
Forget the cards. Wiggle out of your undies; give him those. Works every time. For what, I'm not sure. Yes, I am.

JB,
A blast from the past! So great to see you're back [as well as your front].

Patti,
Thankee. It's just a temporary blip. don't worry.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Very good Pawlie!!!

But, you saved the juicy tidbits for us. Thank you (she says with sly grin).

Drink some coffee... or chicory.. it may halt the wilt.

Scarlett & V.

Army said...

At first I thought it chicanery - would the Laughorist resist such wordplay?

Apparently so. But then, in this forum, it has been said. Memory has served its purpose. And your train of thought, revealed : )

Anonymous said...

Ah, Pawlie, you may be giving yourself too much credit on the whole impulse control thing, since you revealed your hand later by telling me about this post. I think you even blushed a little when I asked you to send me the link. Piqued my curiousity, that did. Luckily we botanists have a sense of humor.

I like your blog, by the way. When I googled you, the serial comma post from January was right near the top. I'm a big fan of both the serial comma and the semi-colon. I'm going to have to come back another time to explore your archives.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...