Thursday, September 04, 2008

Ghosts in the Machines

Last night, while struggling to fall asleep, with a fan and an air conditioner thrumming, I thought I heard voices outside, or maybe instrumental music, or singing. Just barely.

Then, upon leaving the room, going to a non-AC portion of the house, I couldn't hear the voices, music, or singing.

Help me out here.

Was it a psychotic fugue (to use musical nomenclature)?

My imagination?

Or...

Or...was it one of those deals where the AC window unit somehow acts like a radio receiver, the way they used to say someone's braces or dental fillings could work like a radio?

People have really claimed that, and I guess it's true.

Just thought I'd ask.

4 comments:

Ralph said...

We often hear in the middle of the night cats settling territorial disputes around 0200 hours...No window A/C in our bedroom window!

Christy said...

I hear music sometimes at night. It is comforting to me.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've heard about this kind of thing, too, and really hope I don't channel anyone while having my wisdom teeth extracted on Thursday. I'm afraid I might pick up something from the Marquis de Sade.

Patti said...

Sometimes I smell skunks in the middle of the night.


Sometimes I heard the phone ringing (when it isn't) on the rare occasion when the vacuum cleaner is on.