Thursday, September 04, 2008

Ghosts in the Machines

Last night, while struggling to fall asleep, with a fan and an air conditioner thrumming, I thought I heard voices outside, or maybe instrumental music, or singing. Just barely.

Then, upon leaving the room, going to a non-AC portion of the house, I couldn't hear the voices, music, or singing.

Help me out here.

Was it a psychotic fugue (to use musical nomenclature)?

My imagination?

Or...

Or...was it one of those deals where the AC window unit somehow acts like a radio receiver, the way they used to say someone's braces or dental fillings could work like a radio?

People have really claimed that, and I guess it's true.

Just thought I'd ask.

4 comments:

Ralph said...

We often hear in the middle of the night cats settling territorial disputes around 0200 hours...No window A/C in our bedroom window!

Christy said...

I hear music sometimes at night. It is comforting to me.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've heard about this kind of thing, too, and really hope I don't channel anyone while having my wisdom teeth extracted on Thursday. I'm afraid I might pick up something from the Marquis de Sade.

Patti said...

Sometimes I smell skunks in the middle of the night.


Sometimes I heard the phone ringing (when it isn't) on the rare occasion when the vacuum cleaner is on.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...