Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Waiting



Doctors use the term "watchful waiting" to describe a form of treatment for cancer patients. The prescription handed to me by the Unseen Hand ordains watchful waiting for me at this post-termination jobless Job-ish-feeling time (okay; I admit to just a teaspoon of melodramatic self-pity). Waiting is hard for me (and for most Americans), never mind adding an Advent-riddled watchfulness to it. So, what am I waiting for? Good question. I am waiting for that one call, e-mail, inquiry, letter, offer to make all things right. And as I write that, I see the fallacy of it. Or should I say the fallacy of IT (uppercase bold oblique underscore 48 point)?

In Haruki Murakami's
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, the unemployed narrator, Toru Okada, spends long silent stretches of time in a deep, dark, dry well. He spends days down there, waiting. And the waiting (sometimes watching the ever more blazing stars from the well) wasn't all that bad, was it? He did it on purpose (or was compelled to do so.) He went down to the well, to sit, to wait, to listen, . . . to be.

I am in the well.

Waiting.

I'm not very patient by nature (and after all patience comes from the Latin verb for suffer). My coltish impatience, with its unruly recklessness, sort of got me into the well to begin with. (Or did it? Was it inevitable anyway?)

But I will wait.

I am waiting.

And who isn't waiting?

p.s. I did read Waiting, by Ha Jin, several years ago. I recall that I enjoyed it, but my memory is dim at this hour.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Ah the joys of the waiting game. Though the objective is normally profound, the rules are never clear.

Glamourpuss said...

As long as you're not Waiting for Godot, all will be well.

Puss

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I love Latin, and I love coming by to visit because I find it here often... or at least a reference to it.
Thank you for that frosting on my cupcake day.


Now. I've heard that patience is a virtue... but I fall somewhere in between the early bird gets the worm and the second mouse gets the cheese.

So... be prepared, send your queries out and then spend time in museums, gardens, libraries... places of soulful/spiritual inspiration, wherever those might be. Wait then, but be ready.

Best of luck to you.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Odat said...

Sorry I've not been here for a while....looks like I missed something...but you know, as well as I do, let it go....and it'll come back to you tenfold!
Peace

Patti said...

Ralph is going through the same thing. It's not fun, that's for sure. Patience is the key.


Thinking of you, PK.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...