Thursday, February 25, 2010

maybe the eyes don't have it

"Excuse me," he said . . . "but are you blind?"


"Yes, I am," she replied.


"That's an affliction I wouldn't mind," he said.


"Why?"


"We believe too much in what our eyes tell us," he said. "They draw us into enormous disappointments."

-- Robert Wilson, The Vanished Hands (2004)

Hmmm. I have to think about this one a bit. It reminds me of something the late Ray Charles once said. He claimed he would not want to regain his sight, lost as a child. Too many bad things to see. At first blush, that sounded like an awfully bleak take on life. But who am I to say? Seeing Ray Charles say this, on a late-night talk show many years ago, if I recall correctly, I did not think he was unhappy with his state. I don't know where I'm going with this. I was reading Wilson's novel, saw the quotation, and dog-eared the page because I thought the passage might be something to blog about. So here I am. What do I think? I can admit that I am easily one who "believe[s] too much in what our eyes tell us." Well, what is "too much" anyway? Sure, I'm an easy mark for the puppy-dog plea in the eyes (human or canine) or the smoldering come-on of lust's beckoning. ("Dad, don't make eye contact" my younger daughter would advise me regarding my being an easy target for panhandlers along the boulevards of Berlin or in the U-bahn). I can admit to readily taking up arms when I see the flint of battle in one's eyes. So be it. But don't any "disappointments" in those instances arise from the "too much" factor? If one really reads the eyes properly (i.e., accurately, without distraction, without static or interference), can eyes ever lie? Or am I foolishly naive to be asking such a question at the age of 61?

2 comments:

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Leonardo da Vinci was arguably one of the most brilliant minds to ever exist.
He believed that our eyes are the greatest gift we have; that sight is the key to understanding our world and experiencing it at our fullest capacity.

I have to say I'd agree with Leonardo rather than Ray Charles. If he wanted to miss the ugliness of the world, it was at the cost of missing the beauty of it as well. In my very humble opinion, I'd want to experience all of it.

How does that country song go... 'I could have missed the pain, but I'd have missed the dance'? Yes. I'd want both rather than neither.

...and you, Sir?


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

agree

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...