Monday, December 08, 2008

The Unkindest Cut

I have a tiny diagonal cut on my right hand, in the meat of the palm, in a fleshy portion opposite the fleshy portion near my thumb. The way of all flesh. I guess it's a paper cut, but I don't remember getting it. It stings. Today it is visible, yesterday it wasn't.

How many know that "the unkindest cut" is an allusion to Shakespeare's "Hamlet"?

Or who recalls that "the way of all flesh" is a novel, or a movie? (I'll leave the searching to others.)

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Another allusion, this one biblical, or Biblical, if you prefer.

Which is worse: losing our allusions? Or losing our illusions?

To paraphrase Dylan Thomas (or to quote him out of context), "Man, be my metaphor."

No comments:

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...