Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bombing Berlin (My Word!)


Words are strange creatures, aren't they? I recently read this New York Times article about Berlin's attraction as a graffiti capital, as a place where "bombing," or graffiti-spraypainting, thrives, altering the urban landscape.

Approximately seventy percent of Berlin's urban landscape was altered by a different brand of
bombing in World War II. You can still see pockmarked buildings as evidence, as well as the remains of the world-famous Kaiser Wilhelm Gedachtniskirche, not far from the Berlin Zoo and not far from KaDeWe, a luxury store ("it's da bomb!" in Eighties lingo), and not too far from the Opera, where a bad performance would bomb.

I have never gotten
bombed in Berlin, and hope and pray not to when I am there next week (or else my ruination would indeed be more than seventy percent).

What words are on your mind?

Give me
one.

It is as hard to proffer just
one layered linguistic gem of a word as it is to eat just one cashew or one chocolate candy or one potato chip (or partake of just one of This Or That of a swarm of addictions, named and unnamed).

Give me one word of thy choosing , O Blogosphere! One word that ripples with ambiguity.

The pebble tossed into placid Lake Semantic.

Give me your one word.

This will be the easiest comment you ever posted.

Or the hardest.

7 comments:

Michael C said...

I actually tried to launch my own verb today...

Hey, how about our annual 'you have to say something good about my team' Dodger/Giant wager again this year, my friend??

Anonymous said...

To keep in the Germanische theme, I give you one of my favorite words: doppelgänger.

There. Now what?

Patti said...

sauerkraut

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Michael,
At advanced age, it is gratifying to launch a verb, a noun, or even a dangling participle -- not to speak of gerunds!

The giants-Dodgers bet is on -- though I concede already.)

MM,
I second that emotion.

P,
Clever, but better than sour grapes.

PK

Christy said...

Can I make up a word? Meh. Horrid. Sad. Mehorrisad...

Glamourpuss said...

'Toss'

Puss

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...