Sunday, October 28, 2007

Parting Shots


About a year ago, I mused on such
grave matters as epitaphs.

How about "last words"?
I just finished reading Joan Acocella's review in The New Yorker (10/8/07) of Julie Kavanagh's "Nureyev: The Life."

Rudolf Nureyev, the flashy ballet star, comes across as tragically solipsistic. He died at the age of 54, in January 1993.

His last words?

"Moby-Dick."

A little quiz. He said those words because:

a) In his grandeur, he was reaching for a suitable anatomical metaphor.

b) A movie of the same name was on the hospital TV.

c) He was relating a delirious homo-erotic fantasy.

d) He was planning a ballet about the Melville classic.

Acocella says it was b), but offers the conjecture that it would not be far-fetched if it were d).

What would be your last words? Good question, eh? I've always liked Gertrude Stein's purported last words. She is said to have asked Alice B. Toklas, "What is the answer?" When Toklas did not respond, Stein reportedly said, "In that case, what is the question?" and died.

I think "last words" assume you'll have the chance to utter anything intelligible.

How about a Groucho Marx echo: "Hello. I must be going."

Or: "Whoa!"

Or: "Oooops!"

Or: "See ya later. Thanks and love."

Or: "Laugh. Or else."

Yours?

p.s. Some say, "Parthian shot" became "parting shot" in English, though that is disputed.

5 comments:

Odat said...

This is something I'd think long and hard about, then write it down...so I wouldn't forget...lol.....
but mine would be sarcastic, knowing me...then I'd regret it and it would be too late...;-)
Peace

[] said...

I'd love to spend some time thinking up something clever and all, but I have a sinking feeling my last words may run along the lines of What the f***?

azgoddess said...

well i want my last words to be 'i love you'...and hopefully someone i do love will be there for me...if not then i'm saying it to myself...

Glamourpuss said...

I have two favourites:

'I told you I was ill.' Spike Milligan

and

'It has all been very interesting.' Lady Mary Wortley Montague

Puss

Patti said...

Glamourpuss just used the one I was going to offer: "I told you I was ill." I just didn't know the source.

I love that epitaph.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...