Monday, May 28, 2007

Dogged by Loyalty

So, in the end, after failing rapidly in the space of a Saturday afternoon, she lay down at the bottom of the stairs. She was unfazed and unexcited by a chunk of meat. Her gaze met an unknown country past the horizon. She was in a limbo of lethargy. I lay down beside her, caressing her. Her ribs rippled under my hand. Upstairs, my younger daughter's crying threatened to escalate into an unmanageable storm. 'Rosie seems cold,' I said. 'Why not make her feel better by putting this little green blanket of yours on her? Make her feel cozy.' And that's what we did, along with a little pillow, along with hypnotic petting, caressing. Somehow sleep descended on all of us, at times, here and there, fitfully. We were certain we would find a deceased dog Sunday morning. We did not. She rallied a bit. But of course it was just a stage. The vet had left his cellphone number in case things had turned bad. We called. He called back to say he would meet us at his office; he was about two hours away. As if to make it harder, Rosie had come upstairs and lay by my daughter's bed. I took a nap, waiting for a call back from the veterinarian. She bravely said her goodbyes (the unclear antecedent for the pronoun is okay; 'she' and 'her' are interchangeable as to whom they refer here). My daughter went to stay with neighbors. I put Rosie's leash on upstairs, feeling vaguely like a sombre hangman. She almost stumbled on the stairs, confirming her accelerating weakness. A deception here, as if going for a beloved walk. Into the car she went, fairly enthusiastically. We had to lift her onto the back seat. My wife sat with her. Rosie sat on my daughter's emerald blanket. Pretty eager, getting out of the car. Then, as if it all dawned on her, resistance. We picked her up. Our voices were soft. The doctor asked me to sign a form. I did. My wife tearfully said goodbye. I said I'd stay, at least for a while. My thought is this: she was loyal to me, to us; I shall be loyal to her. I shall not abandon her. He shaved her left paw. He said he'd give her an IV. As he's putting the needle in ever so imperceptibly, she does not even flinch. Through my curtain of tears, I hold her and tell her I love her and gently reassure her. I ask the doctor about an IV but then it dawns on me: this is the IV, of course. All the liquid in the chamber enters her. I ask the doctor if she is conscious as I look into her brown eyes. 'I think she's gone,' he says softly. His stethoscope and his eyes verify it. 'Sometimes their eyes close if a muscle contracts,' he says, when I point out her eyes were still gazing into that unknown geography. My voice and eyes are filled with tears but I compose myself so as not to collapse into an undignified heap. I am willing to wager that a veterinarian sees more grown men cry than a funeral director. Outside, the bright sunlight of Pentecost. In the car, my wife's hand. My bark of a sob.

And so, farewell to you who knew my rages and secrets, my exaltations and lamentations, on our evening and nighttime walks, through billowing snow (you delighted in burrowing in it) and scarlet sunsets, locusts and lunar light. Farewell, my loyal lovely, farewell.

'The water is wide
I can't cross o'er...

Build me a boat that will carry two...'


12 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

How terribly sad. In London, our vet came to the house to do the deed. It always struck me as so unfair that one has to take them away from familiar surroundings to die. But then I spent all my time tidying up the house in preparation for his visit and I still feel guilty about that.

Condolences, Pawlie.

Puss

Unknown said...

Oh how very sad. I am truly sorry for your loss. The story reminds me of many Christmas seasons ago when my husband took our beloved Bubba cat, who was sick with cancer, to the vet to have a worrisome spot looked at. I remember him coming home with tear-stained cheeks and an empty cat carrier. I didn't even get to say goodbye. Here's to hoping that your broken hearts begin to heal a bit but that you never forget your friend.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Puss, Melissa, All,
Call this denial or call it real, but I am doing okay today. It was a bit wrenching to write what I wrote, but it was my choice and ultimately therapeutic. Of course, I miss Rosie, but we had our turn together. What more can we ask for? We can be grateful. Sometimes our forecasts about feelings are incorrect. So far so good. There will be surprises of sorrow, I'm sure, but today is okay. Thanks.

PK

Odat said...

I should never have read this at work....but having done so, my condolences. I know what it's like to loose a beloved pet. It's funny tho, how they die so graciously. They know when it's their time...unlike us humans who go kicking and screaming.....
Peace

Anonymous said...

Loved always. Loved to the end. Loved still.

We should all have the gift you gave your pet.

I too, shed a tear in your grief.

[] said...

I'm so sorry. I didn't have the guts to even get in the car when my dog went. My mom just came back twenty minutes later without him. Be glad you were with her.

The Exception said...

This was quite touching to read. I have held many a paw, unwilling to leave before they are safely resting peacefully. I am glad that you are doing okay today. She is an ever loved part of your heart.

azgoddess said...

all i have are hugs to give you and yours!!!!

MrsG said...

What a lucky dog, to have such love! We had to take my ailing Rabbit for that last car ride a few years ago (named him Rabbit because we had no intention of keeping him, that was 6 years earlier) and it was heartbreaking...but I was so glad we were there to hold him. It's one of those things we do for the critters we love, I suppose. xx

Anonymous said...

To One and All, including Odat, MC, Monicker, T.E., AZG, Amytree:

Thanks for all the good thoughts. The Laughorist needs to get back on track, the laugh track. So, coming soon, to a screen near you, the new and (one hopes) imporved Laughorist.

PK

p.s. I KNOW there's an egregious misspelling. What do you think I am, a moreon?

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

PK,

I am so terribly sorry to know this loss. I wish you rest and peace in the coming days. It's never easy, but I guess we all just walk through it, one slow, numb step at a time.... day by day.

Peace be with you and your family
Scarlett

JR's Thumbprints said...

I know all too well about losing a pet, having read "Marley & Me" and putting my own dog to rest in the very same week. Give it time, my man, give it time.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...