Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bus Stop Diaries

I'm already late, so what's the diff, try and catch the bus, save some gas, save some cash, feel good about it, go green, all that. I don't know the schedule but I know the buses are not too frequent; nevertheless, I walk down the hill on a chilly morning with birds in my ears. I'll take the chill any day over the sweltering throb of simmering morning heat. Turn left, no bus and no one waiting for one. Go down toward the Ukrainian church (well, Ukrainian but Roman too) with the five gorgeous emerald onion domes, each topped with a glittering gold cross, where I caught the bus last week or was it the week before? No bus. Keep walking. Go through the alleyway, a one-way street, against the permitted way for cars but okay for pedestrians, head toward the busier (nice oxymoronic pun) thoroughfare. A bus passes 350 to 500 yards before me. Missed it. When's the next one? Hope it's not an hour. I reach the bus stop and stand there. Dandelion leaves and blades of grass strewn like a toddler's battlefield give evidence that a weed whacker's been here. I hate them, especially their sound. Do I stand in front of the little concrete barrier, closer to the traffic? Sure. Bus Stop. That was a movie with Marilyn Monroe. (Speaking of tragic celebrities with billowing breasts, blond hair, and ruby lips, Anna Nicole Smith's diaries in the news today give evidence of horrible spelling and bad grammar. That immediately lowers my libido. My tail stops wagging. For her.) At the bus stop, you see more litter, you see the grim faces of drivers, you see people who are complaining about the price of gas flooring it to get past the intersection in big-ass vehicles, en route roughly to where I'm headed, two miles away or less. Hey, isn't that what's her name? Hi! The bus stop is handicap-accessible and has a sign posted that says NO STANDING ANY TIME. I chuckle. File that for blogging. Can I stand here now? Please? What if I sit down right here on the weed-whacked limp shrapnel of greenery gone to its grave? Then the Downtown-heralded bus comes. The driver is a serious but amiable African-American fellow with sunglasses (but I don't really know his lineage; he might be African-British or Jamaican-American or Canadian-American; after all, I know a guy who's white, has an African name; his folks are from Cameroon; and he is as white as the cliffs of Dover, mate). I put in my wrinkled dollar; the machine takes it. The lone passenger is an elderly woman; she's reading a magazine about birds. I want to tell her about last night's post at my blog. I want to tell her I wrote about bird sounds, but I resist. It's not beyond me to strike up a conversation like that. Half a block away, a teenage girl with a backpack flashes a pass or ID, and gets on the bus. She looks stressed, unsettled, in a hurry. I feel bad for her. She obviously forgot something, for school or work. She's fumbling in her backpack. She pulls the cord. The bus stops. As she turns toward me before exiting the bus, I give her the most compassionate smile I can muster because I really sympathize with her; it reminds me of losing that twenty-dollar bill a week ago Sunday. Maybe she's the bus driver's daughter (but obviously isn't or he would've greeted her. He would've said, "What's the problem? I'll help you out.") Outside on the sidewalk she is still searching her backpack. Several blocks away, two more people get on. So now it's a bus "filled" with four people. "Price of gas price of gas price of gas" is the mantra of the bus's engine. The two that get on: a young guy with a filthy baseball cap, looks depressed, not from Cameroon or Africa or even Bakersfield or Cedar Rapids. She, she's got blond hair pulled back and bling earrings (large and trashy) and ghoulishly long fingernails that I stare at and loathe as I endure her shouts to the driver asking if it's the usual time he's here. He solemnly and evenly intones, "I'm supposed to be here at 8:27." We arrive. I thank him. He wishes me a good day, as I embark into the haven of cigarette smokers and litterers and walk the two blocks to work, late but already entertained, if that's the word, but it really isn't. The word is Bus. Full Stop.

7 comments:

[] said...

Very nicely written.

My mornings sound strikingly familiar. Unfortunately, I'm usually the girl that gets off in a hurry while frantically rummaging through her bag.

David Wozney said...

Re: "I put in my wrinkled dollar; the machine takes it."

A “Federal Reserve Note” is not a U.S.A. dollar. In 1973, Public Law 93-110 defined the U.S.A. dollar as consisting of 1/42.2222 fine troy ounces of gold.

Anonymous said...

M,
Actually, the girl's misfortune set me back, searching for that lost money, obsessivley, futilely, as if for lost innocence.

DW,
Speaking of obsessive! Well, I'll assume you are correct. You display extraordinary meticulousness on this matter. But concede me poetic license. My versions sounds so much better than "I put in my, technically speaking, wrinkled Federal Reserve Note..." For that matter, maybe it was not "wrinkled" but was crumpled, furrowed, slightly creased, or worn.

PK

Anonymous said...

DW,
Make that "version" [singular]; add another period, or full stop, in the ellipsis; and put quotes around all those adjectives used to describe the currency.
PK

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Laughed out loud... I'm sorry, who's the editor here? ha ha ha... I love poetic license... or just about any other license one could care to use or invoke. I use several myself.
PK, you have my leave to use your poetic license anytime, and in any fashion that suits you. Enjoy to your hearts content, and it will be also, to mine.

As far as the bus, I try to avoid those whenever possible, but I do love trains quite a lot. They've saved me millions in gas, auto upkeep, speeding tickets, accidents and increased insurance premiums.
Of the many that I have and delight in, my drivers license is the one I still hold by nothing short of the grace of God.
ha ha.

Best to you, PK

Scarlett

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

WS,
Many licentious thanks!
PK

Glamourpuss said...

I once wrote a collection of poetry around bus routes. It's the best way to travel the capital but the worst way to travel outside of it.

Puss

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...