Monday, May 14, 2007

Moonday Moonday

Monday, the first day of the week, at least according to ISO 8601, of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Stubbornly, unlike the ISO, the United States still holds that Sunday is the first day of the week, despite the cyclical symbolism of mini-Easter drowning in a sea of secularism.

But, let's face it, Monday is for most of us the first day of the week, the first whirrings of human anxiety over the labor pains mandated by Adam Smith and his Captains of Commerce.

Is this what St. Benedict had in mind with his "labora
re est orare" ["to work is to pray"]? I believe he symmetrically balanced the phrase with "orare est laborare" ["to pray is to work"]. Yes, sometimes it takes work to pray; other times it comes as easily as

H

E

L

P

!

as one dangles from one's fingertips from the ledge of one's unmaking.

But back to Monday. Or, if you prefer, Moonday.

I wonder why we have this moon thing going on. I invite your lunar musings. Monday means the day of the moon, Moonday. (Of course, right after the day of the sun, Sunday.) The inevitable
comparisons to the moon's feminine attributes will be invoked, but what are we to make of them?

On Mondays I typically must invoke ever-more-powerful prayers and incantations to pry myself from under the canopy of cozy sheets. Translation: God! It is hard to get up!

Am I trained to dread Monday with its quest for the almighty quotidian, its maelstrom of management and duty? Or, am I out of training for the travails of work? Does Friday and Saturday catapult me away from the rigors of capitalism?

Maybe that's it: workaholics are so afraid of losing stride, so neurotic about getting out of workshape, they never stop working. Feck 'em.

Or is Monday no worse than any other day, except in my weekend-laden mind?

Perhaps Monday is perfectly named, with its moonish craters and cravings, its hotness and coldness, its unearthly airiness, its moonday Mondayishness.

In all honesty, it wasn't too bad today. I got through the day. I didn't invoke Saint Monday and stay home. I'd say Mondays are dangerous and potentially subversive, in the same way vacations are. That's it! That's where the powers of the moon come in! Beware of anyone making a life-changing decision on a Monday or during or right after a vacation. ("Marge, I think we should stay here in Aruba. We can find work. We'll love it. It'll work. Really!")

Well, at least I didn't book a flight to Vegas, just to escape the pressure, as Tony Soprano did in last night's episode.

He just might stare at the Vegas desert sun forever, and never see the moon again, anywhere, day or night, Moonday or Monday.

How was your Moonday?

P.S. Incidentally, come to think of it, the French don't mince words: Work literally is travail!

4 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

Ah, the moon. In the UK, the police put on extra staff to cope with the effects of the full moon.

We all go a bit loopy - literally. There's a bit of etymology for you.

Puss

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

P,
Oh yes, more babies more, all that stuff. Staying in the loop.

BC,
Welcome, from your lunar travels!

PK

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

ahhh La Luna.
I like this post the best. Interesting musings here... made me wonder about our orbital partner a bit.
Second to Saturn, the moon is my favorite celestial object. It is mysterious and romantic. Dark and cold... illuminated and just barely out of reach. It embodies the soul of a woman, sometimes hidden, sometimes showing this side, or that... and once in a while revealing herself.
I love the names of the regions on the near side of the moon. Aside from the surnames of great astronomers, the latin names of Mare Insularum, Mare Imbrium, Mare Nubium, Mare Humorum, Mare Cognitum... and Oceanus Procellarum are quite captivating. I like the idea of a myriad of seas on a terrain that holds no water.
My favorite (followed by Tycho) is at the very top of the moon, somewhat off center towards the right... there is a place called Endymion. I love that. It's a wonderful poem (by right's I think it ought to have been called a small novel though), and I am happy to know that someone thought enough of it to make a place at the top of the moon it's namesake.

Thanks for the picture, and the thoughts.

Much appreciated.

Scarlett

Anonymous said...

I must get across [url=http://www.saclongchamppliagefr.org]longchamp sac[/url] my

affection for your kindness giving support to individuals that need guidance on in this niche. Your personal commitment

to getting the message all over was wonderfully productive and have

all the time helped people like me to realize their desired

goals. longchamp sac , The valuable

recommendations denotes a whole lot a person

like me and even further to [url=http://www.saclongchamppliagefr.org]sac longchamp pliage pas cher[/url] my [url=http://www.saclongchamppliagefr.org]longchamp sac[/url] colleagues.

Warm regards; from each one of us.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...