Monday, November 30, 2020

intersection

As I approached Williams Street where it meets Emerson Avenue, my jaunty cane in hand, the one with the brass eagle for a handle, a low-slung sports car (red, of course) zoomed toward the crosswalk, seemingly oblivious to the stop sign, or not caring, not enough to obey its literal command. And seemingly oblivious to my approaching the crosswalk, preparing to cross Williams Street toward Porter School. Seemingly being the operative word. I did that asshole thing that people, especially old people, do: tried to teach the driver a lesson. I deliberately and purposefully entered the crosswalk ahead of the seemingly zooming car. I was making a statement: look at me, stop. Or, as Ratzo Rizzo, played by Dustin Hoffman in "Midnight Cowboy," memorably said: "I'm wawkin' heah!" I did not utter those words or any other. But that was my statement, that was my lesson. The other aspect of the lesson was: obey the stop sign, be law-abiding blah blah. As if any driver anywhere in Western Civilization or anywhere else is going to declare to oneself: "Gee. They're right. I should straighten up. Be a good citizen. I am so happy that stranger taught me this valuable lesson. Made my day. Maybe I saved a life. My life or somebody else's." 

Right. Sure.

Surprise.

The driver stopped. 

As I reached the other side of the street, clearing the crosswalk, the driver, through a half-open window, half-shouted, not aggressively, more informationally, pleadingly, said: "I'm sorry, buddy. I thought you were going to stay on the sidewlk."

"No, no. You're fine. Have a good Thanksgiving, have a good day." 

I didn't exactly say that. But close enough. That was the best I could summon, off the cuff.

Still, I felt like a fool: for my assumption, for my misreading, for a lost opportunity.

As I walked toward West Genesee Street, I wanted to turn back and tell on myself, a confession, the works; tell the driver what was what: the lesson, the surprise, the gratitude for this act of human kindness, this one act of one day in which someone was better than expected or anticipated or imagined.

But he was gone. The car was gone.

No comments:

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...