Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Vote for Me


Of course, the motto of the Solipsist Party is "It's ALL About Moi" (if you're going to be snooty, it never hurts to throw in le mot juste en francais).


I voted this evening. I did not vote for me, betraying the great solipsistic principles this land, and this weblog, was built on. (Should I have typed were? Perhaps. My grammar cortex lobe is resting.)

We have old-fashioned voting machines here with levers that click firmly in place. I like it that way. I hope we never switch to the newfangled devices.

The act of voting makes me feel proud to exercise the privilege, recognizing that many have died to safeguard this right.

Then again, I sometimes feel cheated. Sort of like buyer's remorse. These are the best choices available to us? One official I'm pleased to vote for ran unopposed, but he works harder than anyone, going door-to-door to meet his constituents. That's how I met him. And he's not like that only at election time.

Too often our system rewards the richest, the most connected, the most feckless, the most harmless, the most shallow. On the national level, that's true exponentially.

Wouldn't we feel better if candidates unabashedly embraced their solipsistic inner child? Wouldn't we feel relieved to hear a candidate get honest for once and say, "You know what, folks? I'm in this for the prestige, the ego flattery, the attention, and the connections this will get me. Vote for me."

6 comments:

Patti said...

It is always refreshing to hear the truth. I'm not sure that the candidates of any party at any level can figure out how to speak it.

Something about having power...

Odat said...

They wouldn't be politicians if they didn't lie! Come on now!
Peace

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Patti,
I think we get addictedto those lies, and come to expect them.

Odat,
How naive of me to think otherwise.

pk

Patti said...

Pawlie,
Yes, the lies are part of the game we expect them to play. Are they really leaders?

Glamourpuss said...

I think with very rare exceptions, such self-interest is the norm, and accounts for my unbridled cynicism where politics is concerned. Personally, I'd like the voting slip to contain a 'none of the above' box so I could register my distaste for the lot of them.

Puss

Mark Murphy said...

Didn't S.J. Perelman have a character named Moe Joost?

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...