Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Munchin' Chronicles


What do you for lunch? More precisely, what do you do during lunchtime? This came up as an article of conversation about lunchtime conversation, before lunch. One guy in the office I was visiting said, "You could be like married people and just stare at each other." He was referring to the lunch I was about to have with a new employee. She's recently back to the U.S. after being in Europe for many years. I said I prefer grabbing a newspaper and eating by myself. That's what I typically do. Outdoors. Or in a conference room (it most assuredly cannot be at my desk; if I owned the company I'd forbid that; it is wretchedly unhealthy). Or at the mall. I used to do that nearly every day at our old location, since it was down the street from the new-fashioned public square. Sometimes I do errands. The library. The post office. Sometimes I meet with a group of friends. I like to be in a place where I can watch people (way better in the summer; fewer articles of clothing; more flesh). Oh. And I usually eat a lunch I make in the morning; sometimes I buy lunch downtown, or elsewhere. (Speaking of eating, Neal Conan on NPR's Talk of the Nation today actually said this to Strawberry Saroyan concerning unusual names, "Nice to eat you." Or maybe it was, "People must always be saying it was nice eating you." Gulp. She awkwardly paused, on the other end of the line, and said she didn't know how to respond to that. He seemed totally oblivious to the implications of his, um, muchable query.)

Sometimes I conduct business at lunchtime. Today was quasi-business. How does one conduct business at lunchtime? The point is, I'm gregarious, engaging, witty, talkative, inquiring. All that. Feign interest, at all costs.

But little do they all know the toll it takes on me. It takes its toll. The cost of living adjustment (COLA), call it.

I like lunchtime solitude.

Yesterday, however, I truly enjoyed happening upon Eric, on his birthday, 64, with his assistant. Dining outside. Relaxed. Unhurried. They invited me to sit down. Turns out Rebecca doesn't own a car, at all, takes the bus or other forms of transportation. She's around 33 or so. She topped me. I thought I was hot shit for taking the bus twice a week. Good for her. It can be done.

Maybe I should ditch my piece-of-crap car. The steering wheel ain't steering well. It shimmies. A shimmering sign?

So today's lunch was conversational and tasty (Vietnamese-Thai) and airy and thoughtful. But it takes energy.

What do you do at lunchtime?

4 comments:

mist1 said...

I don't have a specific lunch routine. Sometimes, I have a glass of wine and watch a little TV. Sometimes, I take a nap.

Yesterday, I went out and had a grilled chicken compost salad. It was every bit as tasty as that sounds.

Today, I am going to a genetics lab for lunch. I have a feeling that I won't be hungry.

Glamourpuss said...

When I was a school teacher, I would frequently go back to my flat and cry. Nowadays, I read blogs at my desk while eating salads, schmooze clients in a local pub, or got knicker shopping.

Puss

[] said...

I agree with you: I seek solitude during my lunch break. But that's only because I don't like my coworkers. I usually bring a lunch, but do enjoy going out with a group now and again. Anything to get me off the work confines.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hello PK,

Funny guy.
I live about a minute and a half from where I work, so in summer I go home and have fruit or salad by the pool while I get some sun.
In winter I take a hot bubble bath or curl up by the fireplace with a book.
It's all about relaxing and indulging. Oh yes. My hour to escape... every day.
Once in a while I will have lunch with a friend, but not often.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...