Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Simple Twist of Fate


This will be hard to explain, but I'll try. I solipsistically did a Yahoo search of my real name (not my nom de plumage). Results? 2,000 hits, most inaccurate in their attribution, which I find amusing. Around hit number 700, there was a link for a poetry magazine I had long ago forgotten. The link apparently provides digital archives (or maybe just an index) of all the issues of the magazine, going back over 40 years. My name shows up, on an endlessly long and unreadable litany of names, many of them literary lights, right next to a former poet laureate of the United States, side by side, as if we are rubbing elbows, literarily and metaphorically speaking. (I actually met the guy about 18 months ago at an event, and he signed a book of his poems that a friend had sent me as a gift. You already know I am a shameless name-dropper, but not as bad as my brother, methinks. Isn't it a sign of neurotic low self-esteem?) I had something published in the magazine in 1967, the datastream tells me. A poem. A vague memory tells me that contributors had to pay to get into this poetry press's anthology. I would probably cringe now at what I wrote, but I'm still curious. Then, after my name, the website reports that the celebrated poet published something in the magazine in 2006, if I'm reading the streaming run-on river of data correctly. Earlier in the stream is the maiden name of my son's new bride. Sheeeesh! What next? The date, hour, and minute of my death? On the surface, none of this is the least bit noteworthy or remarkable. It is so obvious: We all have K at the outset of our last names. A simple-enough explanation. So what? you say. Big deal. But it all struck me as eerily coincidental, even providential. It creeped me out, as if it was fore-ordained that these connections should occur. It reminded me of the saying "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." But if I allow that the connections and their discovery may've been providential, why did it scare me? Is my faith that shallow? And, after all, are the connections more alphabetical than coincidental? Are they more alphanumerical than providential? Or is it all a modern personal message of the Alpha and the Omega? And, if so, how do I decode it?

Photo by Matej "Dedek" Batha; at least, I surmise as much.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Pawlie,

Every time I read your posts I realise how much I miss my neurotic New Yorkers, even those in Upstate.

I'm with you on the creepiness. But how about taking the coincidence as God's way of remaining anonymously humorous, albeit perversely?

Or how about a little quiet Yoga time.

Incidentally, how about spreading a little love and sharing some of your poems?

August

Katherine said...

re: Berlin dog poop

I didn't know about the government stipend for the punksters with dogs! I can't tell you how many people I've asked about it. It all makes sense now.

It breaks my heart to see those underfed dogs. And you're right about Alexanderplatz. Awful stuff.

August

Glamourpuss said...

Hmmm, methinks you need to look out of the window more - there's the real miracle.

Puss

Patti said...

Pawlie, I like A's idea of posting your poems.
I can't write poetry so I marvel at those who can.

Is this a six degrees of separation thing going on here in this post?

Christy said...

I put my name in quotes in a google search engine. It brings back with a mere 578 search results. It kind of made me proud though because I love to write and it makes me giddy when I see my words get out there. Though I am probably the only one who reads them, lol.

Kiran Jameel said...

I guess I am the only one who comes here to share my very own experience guess what? I am using my laptop for almost the past 2 years.
Sound theory Gullfoss Crack
Serato DJ Pro Crack
MediaMonkey Gold Crack

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...