Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My, My, Maimonides



Maybe you saw this. A Muslim owner of a $4.6-million racehorse named his horse Maimonides. The owner's good-will and peace gesture honors Moses Maimonides, the great Jewish philosopher who lived more than 800 years ago.

The New York Times Sports section featured a photo of Orthodox Jewish kids visiting the horse. (No, contrary to rumors, the rabbi leading the field trip was not there to certify whether the horse was circumcised. Bad-da-boom. Calm down. It's a joke!)

Now, all we need are 5,677,439 to the ninth degree (I don't know how to make those superscript numerals on my blog) more heartfelt gestures like that for us to put our heads on our planetary pillows for a peaceful night's repose.

Speaking of Maimonides,

YIKES!

What a guy!

Blogging has its surprises. I like what I've learned already about Mr. M.M. He wrote medical and other aphorisms (but apparently not that many laughorisms, but I could be wrong). Cool. He wrote A Guide for the Perplexed (which sounds useful to me). And he espoused apophatic theology, as did my beloved Meister Eckhart. I learned this through listening to Tony DeMello tapes in 1993. Apophatic theology, or the Via Negativa, sort of says, "I can't tell you who or what God is. too mysterious. Maybe we can start by imagining what God is not.' I like that socks-inside-out stuff, to use the term of my late friend Sam Patterson.

Two bucks on Maimonides in the fifth.

Fly, baby, fly.

5 comments:

Patti said...

I like the idea of having a Guide for the Perplexed.

Interesting horse story from the NYT, PK.

Jay said...

lol that horse story was funny

Glamourpuss said...

It's all relative.

Puss

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

What an uncanny blend
of the minds of men
and horses and races
of men and places
fifth and then you've won
more than bucks and pun.


I quite enjoyed this.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

azgoddess said...

peace - it is time for peace...thanks for the story...and great links!

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...