Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Portals of Peccadillo



Want to know what peccadillo pisses off Pawlie? Solipsistic Portal Syndrome. Picture this. You're in a grocery store, one that does not have automatic doors, or at the entrance to some sleek corporate HQ, or on the way to divorce court, or at the DMV, or the ER, or to a job interview, et cetera ad nauseam. Pick one. Some fat-ass or Twiggy-ass or pear-shaped ass or Ordinary Mortal advances before you. He or she opens the glass panel. He or she opens the door and keeps walking, solipsistically not bothering to acknowledge your human form or its fragrance or stain or aura or perhaps even its mysterious repulsive force field. No. Oh no. Solipsistic Portal Syndrome, or SPS, only admits the self through the doors of life. Said person opens the door, advances, lets said door close, and keeps walking, even though you, dear reader, may be millimeters to the rear of this ogre.

I have sometimes sarcastically said, "Thanks" to such narcissists. (By the way, did you know sarcasm means "flesh-cutting"? Deservedly, in this case.)

I want to shriek at these ingrates, "Can't you pause, turn around, and hold open the feckin door, you feckin feckhead?!"

But I don't.

It's not just the idea of opening a door. Of course, I can open the door on my own. It's the smug solipsistic sarcastic self-absorbed savage lack of courtesy of such twats.

I wonder if Ralphie encounters aspects of this.

And don't get me started on Littering and the End of Civilization.

(There, I feel better already. Incidentally, can anyone give me a better word than "peccadillo"? This, to me, is a quasi-major offense, not a trifling one.)

9 comments:

azgoddess said...

thanks for your kind words! and wow - great new look - well new for me...and love the um, new language...nice!

Patti said...

Next you will expect strong young men to give up their seats on the bus for pregnant women.


Pawlie, what do you expect from this society of self-indulgent insensitive solipsists in which us thoughtful and sensitive folks who were taught manners must live?

I will have to show Ralphie this post when he arises...

Happy Sunday to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

I dislike it more when I've opened a door for someone and they walk through like some deserving princess or prince without a thank you, eye contact, head nod, or anything.

AndreAnna said...

Yesterday, while entering the third level of Hell, I mean the mall, Mike held the door for me while I walked through with the stroller. A bunch of teenagers were behind me and he continued to hold the door for them. They didn't even say thank you and Mike catches up to me, all pissed off, and says "Damn kids." So, we're officially old and ornery.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Sometimes when I open a door for others, I'm left standing there while twenty or so people pass through. Isn't there such a thing as door-exchange-opening, kind of like a relay race?

Anonymous said...

You've just sent me off onto a delightful exploration of sinful words. How about iniquity?

And how can we get you started on Littering and the End of Civilization? Poke.

Ralph said...

Pawlie, actually, people tend to hold doors open for me, really! There is much prejudice against wheelchairs in many areas, but never with doors! Hard to figure. I do like how sorry people are when they run into the wheelchair...if you hit your shins on my 'chair foot plat e, it hurt you more than it hurt me. To paraphrase Elton, sorry seems to be the hardest word...unless you forget to hold the door for me!

Glamourpuss said...

I'm with you, Pawlie - let's whip some courtesy into these fucktards.

Puss

Odat said...

This happens all the time in my office buidling, at the train station.....and to top it off, people behind you...if they see you're going for a door will stay with you so they don't have to effing open it themselves...that's what gets me more.....
Peace

(I can see your blog better, thank you for that!!!!!)

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...