Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Summer Vacation


My summer vacation was short because I had taken a winter vacation and a spring vacation. My summer vacation consisted of parts of four days amidst pine needles, by a lake, in a cottage, called a "camp" in these parts. The morning alarum was the whimpering of Maggie, a yellow labrador-German shepherd puppy asking to be let out. At 6:40 a.m., or later on two mornings, a walk along Long Point of Brantingham Lake, foggy mist curling up off the lake, the sun trying to burn through. Chickadees. Lots of blue jays. Then back down the opposite end of Long Point, up and down macadamed inclines. One day her gnawed-at leash broke. She stayed close, unlike the late but beloved Rosie, who would've been gone, chasing the wind. All this in my pajama bottoms, sandals, t-shirt, baseball cap. No bears. Return to the cabin: toast and tea. A nap. Still in pajamas. (Have I already told you the ol' Groucho Marx line? "I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How it got there, I'll never know.") Play Yahtzee. Trade obscenities. Young'uns howl. Eat. Sleep. Play Scrabble. "Assise." "Cruster." Walk. Eat. Sleep. Dangle feet in lake. Sleep. Finish
Samaritan by Richard Price. No cellphone coverage. Buy fly paper ribbon strips; mostly feckless. Nap. Read. Return home. Two messages from work on cellphone when in range. Dread. Horrid dread. Work Wednesday. Somehow get through it all. Back up to camp Friday for a cameo return.

The aim of leisure is not to make us better drones.


8 comments:

[] said...

Sounds wonderful. Except for the mostly feckless flypaper.

Glamourpuss said...

The aim of leisure is to remind us who we are and who we could be were it not for the shackles of work.

Puss

AndreAnna said...

The aim of my leisure is to get me drunk enough so I forget I'm a drone.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was fun.

I just got back from a rented beach house, I want to go back!!

Odat said...

A short vacation is better than NO vacation...sounds peaceful...
Peace

Ralph said...

I like your vacationing wardrobe. Too bad about no bears in the woods, they might have been preferable to the predators you get to deal with at work...

toby said...

Loved the early part of Samaritan. By the end I was relieved to have finished it; but not for good reasons. Pompeii by Robert Harris, that's a better holiday read!

Patti said...

I agree with odat. A short vacation is better than none. Consider yourself lucky, PK.

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...