Monday, July 09, 2007

Googlenopes

Being wrung out from another Monday that has me pondering self-inflicted retirement, I offer you someone else's humor:

A Googlenope is a term coined by Gene Weingarten of The Washington Post. It means you get no hits on Google when the words are enclosed by quotation marks. The Googlenopes linked right here are courtesy of The Style Invitational of The Washington Post. (Of course, now they may no longer qualify as Googlenopes.)

My personal favorite is:

"DIY Extreme Unction" submitted by Elden Carnahan of Laurel, Maryland.

(Elden and I have chatted on the phone but have never met, though we almost ran into one another at a Loserpalooza about 10 years ago. Fate had other plans.)

I submitted some examples, but none made the Googlenope grade, as judged by The Empress.

By popular demand (at least as demanded by Glamourpuss), here are my entries:

1. my hemorrhoids are like asteroids
2. Only my gynecologist knows for sure
3. Ich bin ein Style Invitational Loser [or Verlierer]
4. fight global hamming
5. birth-control device = children
6. 24/7 times 365 except for Armageddon
7. make sure all words are spelled corectly
8. my children are flying magpies
9. dance of the seven veils and one lonely rhino
10. media mucilage
11. name-recognition mucilage
12. the mucilage of one faux pas
13. faux pas mucilage
14. 1,212-step program
15. Harry Potter's knickers fetish
16. do I get paid in euros, dollars, or goat cheese?
17. your sister, she needs immigration help, yes?
18. I am John Edwards's hair and I want to be your president
19. It was a serial-comma killing punctuated by ejaculatory expletives
20. your kilt is rising, alas
21. Bonds retorted, kiss my asterisk
22. your cat is healthy snack
23. I have a 36-ounce Adirondack slugger

You decide if my schtuff merited ink.

4 comments:

Army said...

This reminds me of the joke that circulated a few years back about typing in "French military victories" and getting no hits. I always found that one to be funny.

Though that list produced many clever(er) ones.

By the by, I love the new digs, PK. It provides some understated dignity and "visual mmm-hmm" to your wordsmithing. Good show!

Glamourpuss said...

So what were yours then?

Puss

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

So... if you recognize the lonely fighting rhino wearing seven veils and Harry's knickers, bonding his hair and snacking on a 36 ounce cheese cat, please step up and askerisk him if he's seen the flying children or your sister, the gynecologist who knows no control device for she has comma bit late, rising 7 times faux their pas, who is hamming it up for the media's words like an invitational hemorrhoid.

WHEW!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Anonymous said...

You can put your googlenopes up in the court of public opinion -- there's a site where you can post and rate googlenopes. It's www.googlenope.com (duh!)

Words, and Then Some

Too many fled Spillways mouths Oceans swill May flies Swamped Too many words Enough   Said it all Spoke too much Tongue tied Talons claws sy...